Built in 1764 Castle Mills is a Grade 2 listed building. From 1770 to 1972 it was a flax mill producing fine quality linen. It was granted the Royal Warrant by Queen Victoria as “suppliers to all the royal palaces”. Closing in 1972 it was converted to 21 dwellings by local builder Ken Hudson.
In the 18th century, by the river in Knaresborough, a cotton mill was built on the site of a paper mill, which eventually became a flax-spinning and weaving mill. Knaresborough became famous for its linen and the mill owner, John Walton, was awarded a Royal Warrant in 1838. In 1972 the mill was converted to private apartments but several external features were retained.