Knaresborough House was built c. 1768, traditionally by John Carr, for the Rev. Thomas Collins, Vicar of Knaresborough from 1735 to 1788.
Owned by his descendants until 1951, it then became home to Knaresborough Urban District Council and, after 1974, to Knaresborough Town Council.
Over the years this house has been put to many uses including a ‘holiday home for poor families’. Opened by the Duke of Kent in 1936. The grounds host the beer festival during the annual FEVA event.