Manor of Beechill.
This late medieval timber framed open hall house was built from oak timbers felled locally between 1488 and 1490, at about the time of Mother Shipton’s birth.
It was the residence of the Prebendary of Beechill, when prebendaries played important roles providing pastoral care, participating in decision-making processes and contributing to the overall spiritual life of the community.
A confession of sins from the early 1500s, was found hidden in a beam, probably the work of the Prebendary himself.
St John’s house passed out of church ownership in 1776