The building is on the site of a manorial corn mill dating from Norman times. The will of the miller in 1656 showed he was making indigo dye from woad probably grown locally. This was used in the dye house opposite. The mill featured in a painting by JMW Turner in 1797.
It was an indigo mill until it became a private house about 1850.
This building has been a private house since around 1850. Indigo dye, made from local woad, was produced here from the nearby dye house at the bottom of Gallon Steps. The mill can be seen in a Turner painting of 1797.