Originally the Tollbooth, rebuilt in 1768, the building served as The Sessions House dealing with infringements of the law. There were two prison cells beneath. From 1553 until 1867 the town had the right to elect two members of Parliament. Election speeches were made from the balcony of the building.
This was built on the site of the toll booth and rebuilt in 1768 when it was used for judicial sessions with two prison cells beneath. Again rebuilt in 1862 to a design by John Child at a total cost of about £2,000.