Knaresborough was one of the first towns to have good street lighting from Set. 1824, thanks to the Improvement Commissioners and their Engineer John Malham. The first gasholder was here at Castle Ings with its Retort House on Waterside but later (2 gasholders) moved across the road. In 1958 there were still 200 gaslights in the town. The last lamplighter retired in 1975 – shortly after the last gasholder was demolished.