The Knaresborough Civic Society aim to re-instate a fountain originally erected to celebrate Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee in 1887. The fountain was erected outside the Dropping Well estate and was paid for by public subscription. Unfortunately at some point in the 20th Century the fountain was dismantled and dumped on private land.
The remains of the fountain were offered by the then land owner to Knaresborough’s local history group and the Civic Society offered to help restore the fountain. The Civic Society intends to reinstate the fountain on the paved area at the top of Gracious Street. This location has been chosen so that the fountain will be publicly accessible and visible to large numbers of residents and visitors.
Planning permission has been granted and we have raised all the necessary funds to complete this project. Knaresborough Town Council have agreed to complete the installation on our behalf.
The Town Council and Civic Society are in discussions with the new owner of the land where the fountain has been dumped. In the meantime we would like to record our grateful thanks to all those who have so far contributed money to this project.