A pharmacy from at least 1720, when John Beckwith was the apothecary, The Oldest Chemist’s Shop became especially famous under WP Lawrence and his son Edmund from 1884 to 1965. The shop ceased to be a pharmacy in 1977.
Many Knaresborians will remember the last chemist to practice here, W P Lawrence M.P.S. Ph.c, who lived to a grand old age. The box windows in the style of ‘Chinese Chippendale’ were added about 1760 but many original features have been removed.